Several relief measures for payment of land tax were introduced by the Queensland Government in response to the impacts of COVID-19. Land tax liability has been deferred for 3 months with delay of issuing assessment notices during the period of 2020-2021.
Applications for the rebate must be made by 26 February 2021 for a land tax rebate to reduce liability for eligible properties.
Landowners must comply with specific leasing principles to be considered for the rebate. They may be eligible to apply if:
Landowners lease whole or part of property and all the following apply:
- Tenants ability to make rent payments is impacted by COVID-19
- Rent relief has been provided to tenants impacted by COVID-19 in an amount at least equal to the rebate
Landowners and all the following apply:
- Whole or part of property is available and marketed for lease
- The ability to secure tenants has been impacted by COVID-19
- Relief is required to meet financial obligations
Relief received through the rebate is expected to be provided to Tenants as rental relief and then the remaining to meet the Landowners financial obligations.